Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Books!

Christmas and New Year were spent "back-packing" in Morocco. I finally had some time to read - without feeling that I should be doing something else like child rearing, homework, housework, schoolwork,...

Some of the wonderful books I read over Christmas include:

A Street in Marrakesh (Elizabeth Warnock Fernea)
Just the right book to read in Marrakesh - and my God, I really knew how this expat mum felt settling her kids into a new and strange environment!

L'Islam explique aux enfants (Tahar ben Jelloun)
My knowledge of Islam (despite taking courses on religious studies and living in Muslim countries for four years) is still somewhat basic. Reading this book proved very helpful, both for my knowledge of Islam and improving my French!

The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini)
I started this one a long time ago and never had the chance to complete it. I cried from time to time... so sad...

The Voices of Marrakesh (Elias Canetti)
Showed me that Marrakech Medina has not changed a lot in 50 years! The beggars, camels, donkeys, souks, the people, sounds and smells - it is all still there...

I saw Ramallah (Mourid Barhrouti)
The best book I have read on displacement and return... brilliant :)

Made in Morocco (Julie Le Clerc)
Well, I did not really read this one from the beginning to the end... but keep coming back to it to look at the photos and pick up some more information about this fascinated country. Anyone interested in trying to cook a Moroccan feast with me?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home